Welcome to sailing! There is a lot to learn. This page contains some of the material we use to teach sailing and maritime skills. Check them out below.
Sailing Skills Checklist
These are links to a knot website:
How do sailboats Work?
One of the most significant things you can do to prepare for sailing is to start noticing and seeing the wind. After all, it is how we move the boat. Where is the wind? Where is it going? Can you find the wind with your eyes closed?
Below is a sample course of a sailboat sailing in a circle. The following worksheets have a couple exercises to get you started. Use a Point of Sail Diagram as a reference while doing the exercises: Worksheet 1 and Worksheet 2 (Click to view or download)
Tacking & Gibing
These diagrams show some of the basics of tacking and gybing.
Crew Overboard Maneuvers
These diagrams show the maneuvers required to return to a person “Bob”, who has fallen off the boat. These maneuvers are also useful for many sailing situations.
The diagram on the left is for when you are heading into the wind, and the one on the right is for when you are heading down wind. You can download both here, COBa and COBb, and the steps are outline and numbered.
Books to Read
Here are the books we reference for our lessons:
|The Complete Sailor||Sail and Rig Tuning|
The Internet is full of resources that allow you to learn sailing terminology and the science behind sailing. Below are several resources that we use. We encourage you to follow your curiosity and find out more.
This site provides a description and location of common boat terms.
- Online games where you can play to test your sailing ability.
- Simulator: See how fast you can get the boat to go!
- Racing tactics & sailing a course: Learn about how to sail a course. The sails are adjusted for you.
- Tacking contest: Tack against the computer to see if you can take advantage of the wind shifts.
Follow Sailboat Racing
- Video of an Olympic race.America’s Cup: some of the fastest boats in the world with great commentary.
- Volvo Open 70: an around-the-world sailboat race
- Extreme 40: 40-ft catamarans short inshore Grand Prix style races